Monday, August 24, 2015

Haven't done this in a very long time but I did another floor so I thought I would add it here. Maybe someday I can add a few more crazy things :)
This is my spider girl dancing on the original Hardwood floor. I used an acrylic varnish and I hated it because everything stuck to it horribly. We used a oil based varnish in the rest of the house and didn't have that problem. So after too many layers of gunk it was time to re-do the kitchen floor.



I collected different paper bags. The best ones were from Yolks Market and Trader Joes. because I wanted the screen prints to show through. I then stained them all a darker color to make the quatrefoil pop.





Next I visited a store in Nelson BC called Cartolina, They have great Paper! I also used some scrapbook paper and an old 1948 story book called Bluberries for Sal.



Robert McCloskey was the Author and Illustrator!


After cutting out the quatrefoils

I then carefully measured and placed them. I basically just used Acrylic varnish as deco podge throughout the whole project, adding layer after layer. It is very nice to work with because you can buy it in a gallon bucket and it dries fast and is easy to clean up.







The last thing I did was add a bit of stain and paint to even out the Dark and light papers.




I am still going to add an Oil based varnish to the top to protect everything from sticking to it and to create a long lasting gloss finish. I just have to wait until we are gone for a few days because it will smell awful.


Thats the new kitchen floor! I love it!! and have had lots of enthusiastic comments.
#paperbagfloor






No comments: